Forget about the meds! This soup includes a variety of antimicrobial and immune boosting foods to get you back on your feet! Plus it's all Paleo :)
What makes this soup medicinal?
Food does more than keep us full. They contain nutrients to nourish our bodies, as well as other components, some of which have medicinal properties.
Garlic and Onions: These both have excellent antimicrobial properties that can help fight off infection. The component in garlic, allicin, is specifically geared towards killing off bacteria. To activate allicin, simply chop up your garlic and let sit for 5 minutes before cooking
Shiitake Mushrooms: These have a long history of being beneficial for the immune system. They help boost the bodies Natural Killer cells, which in turn help fight off bad bacteria. They also increase macrophage activity. I like to think of a macrophage as a PacMan, eating up all of the dots (the dots representing the bacteria)
Ginger: An excellent anti inflammatory as well as an antimicrobial
Bone Broth: An excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Bone Broth is also high in electrolytes, which are sometimes depleted when sick.
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 4 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh dill
- 4 cups organic gluten free bone broth (I used Pacific brand)
- 6 cups water
- 1 package boneless, skinless chicken thighs
-2 tbsp olive oil
- In a large soup pot, bring olive oil to medium heat
- Add in the onions until fragrant
- Add the garlic until fragrant
- Sautee for approximately 5 minutes
- Add in the ginger and carrots until the carrots turn bright orange (I used multicolored carrots, so I cooked until all colors were brightened)
- Add in celery and mushrooms until mushrooms are tender
- Add in bone broth and water and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, add in raw chicken and fresh dill, and bring to low/med heat
- Simmer for 45 minutes
- Remove the chicken and shred using two forks. Chicken should shred easily
- Add chicken back to pot, stir, and enjoy!!